There are key similarities between Magento Enterprise and Magento Community that make both desirable. The main difference between the two is: do you want a “free version” or do you want additional features, reliability, and added security?
The Choices Available
There are two Magento Editions available:
- Magento Enterprise. Well worth its price tag, this edition is designed for robust customization and can handle extremely large catalogs. Large e-commerce companies benefit the most from this option.
- Magento Community. This is a great choice for mid-market businesses. It fills the gap between an “out of the box” cookie cutter option and the need for custom design and marketing features.
We work closely with Magento Enterprise and Magento Community e-commerce platforms. They both include the following features:
- Marketing, Promotion, and Conversion Tools
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Site management tools
- Catalog management tools
- Catalog browsing options
- Product browsing features
- Checkout, Payment, and Shipping features
- Order management options
- Customer accounts
- Customer service features
- International support
- Analytics and reporting tools
- Mobile commerce
Magento Enterprise adds:
- Customer Segmentation, Targeting Promotions, and Merchandising capabilities
- Advanced Rule Based Product Relations for upsells, cross-sells, and related products
- Persistent shopping options for user experience across devices and between browsing sessions
- Automated email marketing
- Gift registry and options
- Reward Points, Store Credits, Multiple Wish Lists
- Advanced shopping cart and return options
- A more robust content management system
- Scheduled import/export functionality
- Backup and Rollback options, including Staging and Merging new products
- Administrator Permission Roles on Website and Store Levels, plus action tracking
- and more!
It is possible to give Magento Community much of the functionality of Magento Enterprise. However, this can be equated with using duct tape, figuratively speaking. It works, it’s sturdy, but it isn’t pretty. And, it doesn’t allow for easy versatility if you want to change anything in the future.
Magento Enterprise leads when it comes to performance. Enterprise is faster than Community, and it is built to handle larger and more complex product catalogs. However, Community comes in a close second. Both perform much better than other e-commerce options.
Both are great options for any e-commerce site. Your decision boils down to what you need. Do you expect the need to add more functionality to your site as your business grows? Do you have large product catalogs? Is your site complex? If so, we recommend going with Enterprise to start.
If, on the other hand, you are a smaller business that needs the robust functionality of Magento but don’t expect major changes down the line, Community is the platform we recommend.
Contact us for a free consultation on which platform would suit your needs best.